When you’re trying to make healthier choices and limit your carbs, saying goodbye to pasta can be the most painful part of all. Not only does pasta taste delicious with an incredible variation to choose from — but it also makes getting a family dinner on the table in less than 20 minutes completely doable.
If you’re having a hard time forgoing your favorite pasta dishes, try a new approach. Instead of ditching pasta altogether, try using low-carb pasta alternatives. These incorporate healthier ingredients like vegetables instead of traditionally-made pasta for all that great taste with more nutrients and fewer carbs.
There are so many ways to adapt them to your favorite pasta recipes — here are some of the most popular low-carb pasta options for guiltless dinners in a snap:
1. Spiralized Noodles Veggie spiralizers are one of the best investments you can make in your kitchen when you’ve made the decision to make healthier choices. They make short work of turning just about any vegetables into noodles. Zucchini noodles, or “zoodles” as they’re known, are among the most popular. You can
use it with sweet potatoes, turnips, and plenty more to replace traditional pasta. Just remember for watery veggies like zucchini, let the spirals rest on paper towels and sprinkle with sea salt first, so your zoodles don’t get too soggy.
2. Spaghetti Squash Don’t feel like spiralizing? Let spaghetti squash do the work for you — even the name implies it’s a great pasta substitute. Simply cut it in half and bake it, then scrape the inside out. What you’ll get is the most delicious spaghetti substitute, and you’ll be getting a veggie in while you’re at it. It goes great with a tomato garlic sauce!
3. Almond Flour Pasta You can also choose almond flour pasta if you’re in the mood for “real” pasta. This type of pasta uses almond flour instead of white or wheat flour. Make sure you read the label and pick a brand that doesn’t have tapioca flour or tapioca starch, or it’s going to be just as high carb as regular pasta.
4. Shirataki Noodles Nicknamed “miracle noodles,” you won’t believe how delicious they are. They’re not only carb-free, but they’re calorie-free as well. These clear noodles absorb the flavors of whatever you cook them with. These pair best with Asian-inspired noodle dishes, though there’s nothing wrong with trying them with any sauce your heart desires.
5. Seaweed Pasta If you love the sea-like flavor from the nori on your sushi rolls, you’ll love seaweed pasta. It’s low in carbs and calories, plus it has tons of minerals. If your kids love eating the sushi seaweed, eating this type of pasta will ensure they get a bounty of healthy minerals along with it too.
6. Cabbage “Spaghetti” Cabbage is an excellent low-carb replacement for pasta that is rich in nutrients and versatile in any dish. A great idea if you want something big on flavor without all the hard work is to make deconstructed stuffed cabbage rolls for a fast and fabulous dinner.
With all these great pasta alternatives that are low on carbs, you’ll get the fill of your favorite noodle-style dishes without the heavy feeling after a plate of traditional pasta. Which one are you most excited to try out?